Facilitating a retreat, strategic plan, or conflicted group takes skill, energy, and experience. While some organizations have the skills internally to facilitate a retreat or strategic plan, here are ten reasons why hiring a professional facilitator may be the right choice for your organization.
- Professional facilitators are avid readers in the art of strategic thinking, professional facilitation, and whole systems change. They bring a best-practices mind-set to their work.
- A professional facilitator has worked with dozens of groups and is equipped to respond to nearly every setting imaginable.
- A professional facilitator asks dozens of questions. Creative questions allow a collective picture of the organization to emerge prior to a strategy event. This listening prepares the consultant to facilitate with knowledge and skill.
- A professional facilitator designs a planning process that is unique to you. Every group is different. Missions vary. People are different. The strategic challenges differ. An experienced facilitator creates meeting designs with you from a reservoir of applications.
- Events facilitated by a professional engage the imagination, generate energy, and build ownership across the organization. They are less likely to be boring, frustrating, or wasteful.
- A professional facilitator is neutral. He or she brings objectivity and focuses on the best process. An external facilitator sees and hears what an insider cannot.
- A skilled facilitator can manage conflict with poise and remain objective. Conflict becomes a creative tool rather than something about which to be anxious.
- A professional facilitator will help your group get specific about action plans. He or she will not let you get stuck with vague generalities.
- Professional facilitators bring a love of people and facilitating groups. They bring joy, humor, and seasoning to your group.
- A professional facilitator brings the intangible: a spirit that draws people together, an emotional maturity that helps the group remain focused, and an enthusiasm that helps the group remain engaged.
Order Thrive at Amazon.
For more resources, articles, workshops, coaching, speaking, and facilitation services, visit www.civicreinventions.com. Email Mark Smutny a question, idea for inclusive meetings, a book recommendation, or a personal story at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will personally respond to your email.