Meet Mark Smutny
Author & Founder
Mark Smutny is a professional facilitator, DEI specialist, workshop leader, author and founder of Civic Reinventions, Inc. He is known for helping businesses and nonprofits uncover the wisdom hidden in their diversity, build engagement, and increase productivity and mission success.
He draws upon decades of work planning and leading retreats and workshops, facilitating conferences and summits, public speaking, and crafting strategic plans.
He is a skilled practitioner of inclusive meeting practices including Liberating Structures, World Cafe, Open Space Technology, Future Search, and faith-based approaches to strategic change. He has worked in nonprofit transportation services, homeless and affordable housing services, organizing business and resident associations, and in faith-based groups. His doctorate focused on practices for building faith-based organizations that embrace diversity and inclusion. He received his Master of Divinity from Harvard Divinity School and is an ordained Presbyterian pastor in the progressive Protestant tradition.
He is the author of Thrive: The Facilitator’s Guide to Radically Inclusive Meetings, 2nd ed., a book that describes powerful tools and techniques to help organizations embrace all voices for greater productivity and mission fulfillment.
Who We Are
Civic Reinventions, Inc., a sole proprietorship, was founded by Dr. Mark Smutny to draw upon his decades of work in the nonprofit, for profit and public sectors building inclusive organizations and communities. Civic Reinventions uses whole group engagement methods including Liberating Structures, World Café, Open Space Technology and other meeting designs to engage all stakeholders in organizational transformation. By engaging the whole organization when crafting diversity, equity and inclusion strategic plans, universal buy-in is the result. When these change efforts are sustained over time, the culture of the organization becomes more respectful of differences, leading to engaged and energized employees and customers. The result is to realize diversity’s promise, namely better thinking, increased productivity, profitability and mission fulfillment.
- Lead by listening.
- Practice compassion. Do justice. Walk humbly.
- Embrace diversity through engagement and inclusion.
- C0-create solutions with all stakeholders.
- Bring mindfulness and emotional intelligence to work everyday.
To build inclusive and engaged organizations and communities that embrace diversity’s promise.
- When equity, inclusion and cultural competency are central to your mission and you need a roadmap for how to transform your organization, contact Civic Reinventions.
- When you need a skilled facilitator to help you hold a respectful dialogue in polarized times on the great issues of the day, contact Civic Reinventions.
- When you want to hear the wisdom of every voice in your organization–top to bottom– to strengthen your work and mission, contact Civic Reinventions.
- When you want projects delivered on time, written clearly, and presented well, contact Civic Reinventions.